NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Food and Cookery
This qualification is designed for pupils with an interest in food and cookery. It provides them with the experience of using different cooking techniques and methods to enable them to use these within further education or apprenticeships. It also provides them with a basic understanding of the skills required for a career in food.
The objectives of this qualification are:
- To prepare and Cook using basic skills
- To understand food and its function in the body and in recipes
- To understand balanced diets and modifications of recipes for health
- To plan and produce dishes for a purpose
The course will provide pupils with transferable skills in Planning, Research skills, Communication, Problem –solving skills along with Health and safety
Each unit is weighted equally, these are graded: Not yet achieved; Pass; Merit; Distinction and Distinction* These are equivalent to A* - C grades = Pass; Merit; Distinction and Distinction*
The assessment for the NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Food and Cookery consists of 2 types of assessment:
- internal assessment – portfolio of evidence including written and practical work. This will be graded by centre staff and externally moderated by NCFE
- external assessment – external assessment paper of a timed two hour period. This will be graded by NCFE.
Candidates must be successful in both types of assessment to achieve the qualification.
What can parents do to help?
- Develop a collection of favourite recipes and cookery books.
- Use of weighing scales and measuring jug/equipment at home is essential.
- Sharing recipes, practise of food preparation and cooking skills at home are actively encouraged by the food technology teachers.
- Ask your child to explain the meaning of the scientific vocabulary that is new to each topic.
- Encourage your child to discuss what they have learnt each week as they progress through each unit.
- Look out for articles in newspapers or television and discuss them with your child.
- Parents can also encourage an interest in food and healthy eating.
If you need any further information please don't hesitate to contact firstname.lastname@example.org